Hello everybody! I'm that random girl listed as this site's moderator. I figured it's about time I introduced myself and tell you a few things about HSmemes that many of you have been dying to know.
It's been nearly a full month since hsmemes.com first launched on the Internet. We've received about 87,550 meme submissions and have well over 5,000 different schools across the US (and a few abroad!) represented. That's pretty astounding for under a month of going live!
As for who I am, well… I am no longer in high school, but I did well enough when I was to get into a pretty amazing college afterwards and land this fantastic job here at Spartz Media! So yes, all those things your parents and teachers nag at you about studying hard and getting good grades and doing music, art and sports to do well in life are absolutely true. Anyways, I was excited to hear about our HSmemes project and volunteered to moderate content and respond to feedback.
After a month of viewing your submissions, I gotta say… I'm impressed! Many of you have awesome senses of humor and are pretty creative with putting a spin on our memes. Our top pics for the site and for individual schools truly capture what this site is about: Poking good-natured fun at all those silly things that high schoolers experience.
Just to point out what I mean, here are 3 of my faves:
I have to admit, though, that some people are missing the idea. You probably know who they are if you noticed a post or an entire school listing suddenly went missing. We do have a policy of zero tolerance for bullying here at Spartz Media, and will take down any offending content. We also always help teachers, principals, deans and local law enforcement agencies when they need help identifying baddies abusing our sites (and we're good at it, too!).
That said, I want to let you guys know what YOU can do to take down offensive posts:
- Click on the white, "Flag as Inappropriate" flag next to any post. Two flags (one each from a different user) will bring the post offline for good!
- Send us the link to any offensive posts, or offensive schools, via the 'Contact Us' page. Make sure you include the links!!! If you're not specific, it'll be hard for me to help you out.
And that's it! As with all of our sites, in the end it's YOU who controls the content and what becomes popular. Keep submitting funny memes to your schools, and keep hitting the +like Facebook button on your favorites. We love watching you guys compete for the top spot!
Finally, to address a few of the common questions I've been getting:
- Right now, we are only putting US schools into our database, but if your school isn't listed, you can add it!
- If you misspell your school or need to have it deleted, send us the LINK to your school via the 'Contact Us' page.
- A small handful of users are experiencing bugs or delays in posting. Be patient! We're workin' on it!
- You can upload your own images in our meme builder, but they need to be approved by a moderator (like me!) first, so you won't see them right away.
There will be plenty more blog posts to come, as well as the chance for all of you to comment. Thanks for reading!